Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Irish Ancestry?

On Friday we invited ourselves over to my BIL and SIL's house. We called and said, "We want to come down to visit you guys, we can come this weekend or next." With no choice but to accept graciously, my SIL kindly agreed to have us this past weekend. We had so much fun!

We drove down on Saturday, arrived around 2:30pm or so. We unpacked the car and the boys kicked around the soccer ball in their front yard for 1/2 an hour or so. Not to get too far on a tangent but when we travel, and only for one day, our car is totally packed like we were driving across the country for a month. It is absolutely unbelievable how much stuff we come with and only for one day! And to be honest, I don't think we over packed. I, for example, only brought 1 pair of shoes, and wore all the clothes I brought so I don't get it but whatever!

My SIL works at a University. She recently changed jobs so we asked her if she would take us around her campus. She works on a really beautiful campus. She has really nice offices that have a beautiful fountain in front which I'm sure will be wonderful in the Spring when the flowers bloom. We walked all over the campus including visiting a beautiful little chapel with lots of stained glass windows. When we went in, there was a woman practicing (maybe for a wedding?) on the piano. It was lovely. We happened upon a baseball game where the score was 11/11 in the 12th inning, bases loaded and two outs! We stayed to watch and the game ended 12/11 in the 14th or 15th inning-the home team won! It was a good opportunity to teach Leo about the game of baseball (Aidan thought the game was taking too long). After that, we ate dinner in the dining hall which was fun and good because everyone got to have something they liked. It did, however, make me feel a bit old. I should also mention that one thing I noticed was that everything was very well kept and so much of the inside of the buildings (commons, dining hall, etc.) felt very new and well designed. We ended up getting home around 8pm. It was really fun.

On Sunday, Jason and Bogey went for a run. After everyone got ready we decided to stop at a local, really good, coffee shop for some caffeine and then we headed off to the Irish Festival downtown. There was food, beer, music, crafts, and fun. We had a couple of beers and for lunch we had hot dogs, fries, fish and chips and "Irish Surprise" -- corned beef, cabbage and mashed potatoes. Someone gave Aidan a sword with a sheath and he and Leo played with it for at least a half hour in the car.

We left around 3:30pm or so and headed home. It was a great weekend. Going to the Irish Festival made me think about my Irish Ancestry and I guess I have more questions than I do answers. I think Grandma Ritualo was all Irish but I'm not totally sure and I can't remember her maiden name. Imagine a tall light skinned woman married to a short dark-haired Filipino. I LOVE it! I also think that Grandmother Foster was also part Irish but I don't know that either and I can't remember her maiden name either and family history. This is why people spend so much time trying to document their family history, so they don't forget so easily and the information is not lost. Am I more Irish than I am Filipino? Are my kids Irish, Filipino and Finnish? I should know right?

3 comments:

  1. Hi its me its my Birthday and i just want to thankyou guys fir my great card i love it and the present was really good to I cant wait to start to watch it . Your grandma Shirley is Irish and my moms maid name is Holmes and her mom and Dad where full bore Irishers. So there you go there is the answer to you questions. Love ya all thanks again Jo Momma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved having you guys! Come anytime!

    Bogey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone, hope all is well. In answer to your family history, Grandma Shirley's maiden name was Elmore and she was 100% Irish. Grandpa Rufino was 100% Filipino. I don't know much about G. Shirley's history but her sister, Cecile, lives in AZ and I have her email addy if you want it. Have a great day! love, Joan

    ReplyDelete