Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Some pictures from my hotel in Accra

I took a few pictures around my hotel in Accra because I did not go outside the hotel. The meetings were long, I'm tired and I didn't want to go out by myself especially since it is my first time here. We hung out in the bar until about 9pm tonight. We had dinner (cheeseburger and Heineken) and a drink and talked to a few people from the conference. People have been pretty nice.

So, these chairs are outside the evaluators on each of the floors. I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE them. They really are amazing pieces of art. I would love for my cousin Jesse to make me one just like it. He could make it over a long period of time (like 10 years) and I could pay installments. :)

Outside my window is a construction site. At this construction site there are no machines and everything is done (very slowly) by hand. This man is carrying, on his head, a load of rubble from inside the building and then dumping it into this pile. There is another construction site in my view and they have a few machines. I watched these men work in the morning and everything was happening so incredibly slow. It is dry, hot, dusty and the work site does not seem that safe. I wonder how long they have been at it to get to this? It's incredible.

View from my room to the left.



Center view from my window. That newly constructed building is a bank but I really have not seen too many cars parked in the parking lot.


View from my room to the right. Another construction site. This one seems to be moving faster because at least they have a few machines. I did not see any men carrying loads on their heads in this site. I think this will be a new Hilton hotel. I am staying at a hotel 5 minutes from the airport. Apparently the area around the airport is really where the growth is and you can see it so well.
I'm leaving tomorrow morning. I'm so happy to go home. I will leave at 7:45 am to go to the airport. My flight leaves at 10:00am. I will travel for 11 hours and 20 minutes to JFK. After that my flight is less than 2 hours I think. I'm supposed to get home just after 9pm I think.




1 comment:

  1. Well hopefully when you read this you will be home. I hope you made it safely.

    I am sorry about your luggage. I hate that. Just puts a damper (pun intended) on everything. Pretty clever isn't it.

    Hopefully we can get together soon.

    ReplyDelete