Thursday, May 7, 2009

Star of the Day

Our little Star of the Day. Months ago, Aidan's teacher sent home a note to all the parents that the students would all have a special Star of the Day assignment. Each child had to do a 20 minute presentation about themselves including their families and hobbies. I know! 20 minutes is a long time! It's a long time for me to give a presentation let alone a kindergartner.

Aidan's Star of the Day was on Monday, May 4th. We have been working on it for the past few weeks. We made two Creative Memories digital 20x30 posters with Doris' help. One of the posters had pictures of Aidan from birth through 6 years of age. The other had pictures of his family, including his mom, dad, brother, cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents. They turned out really cute if I do say so myself! Aidan and I worked on it together and he picked out all the pictures he wanted to include. He also collected a basket full of things that he thought were some how special to him. His basket included, the Wii controller, his swim goggles, soccer ball, panda, geneva flag, the outfit he wore home from the hospital, his shirt and tie, ben-10 watch, bakugan ball, his two favorite movies: star wars clone wars and star wars, his ewok stuffed animal, and maybe one or two other things.


He stood at the front of the classroom introduced us to his class: "this is my mom, Amy"- "this is my brother, Leo", and "this is my dad, Jason." He then stood at the front of the classroom, with a pointer (kids love pointers) and pointed to all the pictures on his board and talked about each. He was talking in a low voice and his teacher told him to "use his first grade voice" and he took all of his special items out of the bag and showed them all. I'm not sure why he wanted to bring his shirt and tie that he wore to Kevin and Sarah's wedding but he did and he showed it!

After all that, he took questions. The questions were really funny. In one picture he has a bandaid on his figure--I don't know how they could see it but they did and they wanted to know what it was and what kind of bandaid it was. One girl, came up and asked him where he was in a particular picture -- he said plainly, "I'm right there" and pointed to himself...I knew what she meant and I thought "oh boy, this is going to be good. how is she going to express this?"...she said "No, what I mean is where are you...what place are in--in this picture?" He was in Georgetown. After the question and answers, he could call on rows of kids to come up and look closer at the pictures and his toys and he could answer any questions. All the kids came up and wanted to look and ask questions. Aidan was loving the attention. It was really, really cute.
We are all SO, SO proud of him. We got the May Kindergarten newletter this week and they said they are talking more and more about first grade in their classes and in a few weeks they will go visit the first grade classrooms. I started to cry. He is getting so bad..too big, too fast, too soon. I'm so proud of him.

1 comment: