Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Back from Vacation: Back to Reality

Well, we made it back safe and sound. The airplane ride went well. We still had a vomiting incidence but really, what's a plane ride without vomiting? Fortunately it was only at the airport and not on the airplane. We were all a bit sad to leave. I cried outside at the drop off (Unyun drove us and Auntie Heather and Ethan came along for the ride to say goodbye) and Aidan cried at ticketing. Fortunately, we had a smooth ride home without any theft. The boys were terrific: the family in front of us even commented on how good the boys were. The father said that they didn't even make a peep. I'm so grateful for two fabulous travellers.

Emanuel picked us up. When we were in his car sadly it felt like he had just dropped us off. We didn't get home until about 11:30pm but we were all hungry so Jason picked up McDonald's happy meals for us all. No one was really tired but everyone was hungry. We finally fell asleep at about 1am. On Tuesday, we woke up at about 9am to the alarm because I had made an appointment to use my birthday gift certificate to the Elizabeth Arden Spa. I got a massage, facial and manicure and pedicure. It was a great way to relax after a pretty busy vacation and long airplane ride home. The massage and facial were terrific but to be honest I really just like the manicure and pedicure at the little nail shop close to my house. It's not nearly as expensive and just as good. Of course I scratched one of my nails and when I got home Aidan accidentally stepped on my big toe and squished the polish. That's life! We also went to the grocery store because we had no food in the house.

Today, Wednesday, was my first day back to work. I started by having to wake up at 6am and could not drink coffee or eat because I had a cardiologist appointment at 8:30am. I was TIRED and GRUMPY! Jason got up with me (sorry ladies but he's the best husband in all the land) and the boys slept in until almost 9:30am. We are all still jet lagged. Only three hours difference but it terribly difficult to get back on east coast time. The doctor's appointment went well (I have high blood pressure) and the doctor said I am doing great. The kidneys are fine and my heart looks fantastic and I shouldn't worry anymore. I go back in 6 months for a check up. He is a wonderful doctor and is listed as a top doctor in our city. After my appointment I went back to (ugh!) work. On the plus side it is a Wednesday and I didn't make it in until noon.

Everyone was really happy to see me so that was nice but to be honest I didn't want to be there. Jason and the boys gave me a ride in and then went to the American History Museum (Leo wanted to see the trains!). I wanted to ditch work and go with them. I felt a little numb being back and just took it easy and checked my email. While I was away I didn't check email once. I only got on the computer two times and that was to get directions to Heidi's house and download a recipe and oh to look at the QVC website (oops, Heather!). On the down side I had an enormous amount of emails to go through. I still have not finished.

It is about 9:15pm and the boys are finally asleep. I have so many stories and photos to share with you all about our trip. I will try to post them over the next few days. We had such a wonderful time and enjoyed visiting with everyone. We are particularly grateful to Heather, Ethan and Riley for putting up four people in their home, having a ton of extra dishes and laundry, constantly having people come and go through their home, being patient with all of the suitcases and clothes every where, and making us feel especially welcome. More to come...

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you all made it back safely. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I can't wait to hear all about it.

    Same ole same ole here.

    ReplyDelete