Monday, June 6, 2011

Preschool Graduation

Friday, June 3rd was Leo's preschool graduation. We were all so excited, even Leo. At home we had been doing cheers and chants in preparation. Leo was so proud but not sure what it all meant. Aidan got to stay home from school to attend because we think it's a big deal and wanted Leo to have the support of his whole family. Aidan was excited to see Leo's school because he'd never been and has asked about it numerous times.


When we first arrived Leo was happily playing puzzles with a couple of his teachers and other students. Then it hit, they had to line up and march across the classroom and sit in front of dozens of parents and siblings. He did not like that! He cried when they were lining up and his teachers were trying to console him but he didn't like all the fan fare and attention. Still he put on the little cap and marched out, crying, and sat down in the chair. One little girl said loudly "why is leo crying?!" It was heart breaking. He was crying, and gasping for breath and he shut his eyes and sat until he was calm. I almost thought he was sleeping. I wanted go up and grab him and say "you don't have to participate in this! Who cares anyway, let's go home and have ice cream and celebrate!" When they handed out the diploma's they were supposed to walk up and shake the assistant principal's hand and take their certificate. The principle just bent down and handed Leo his. Thank goodness.


But he made it through. I'm not sure if he is better for it but he did it. Some times I don't know why we have to do these things. I guess sometimes you just don't know how they will react and other times they are important moments. I know how he and Aidan both feel about this kind of stuff. I don't like it at all.

On Sunday, Aidan had one of this last soccer games and afterwards the team and the parents went out for pizza. It was nice but those types of events are really hard for me too. I don't feel comfortable in these situations either. I think about them a lot afterwards and later I feel completely exhausted and drained. Jason is amazing. You could drop him in the middle of a room with 20 strangers and he could stay for 2 hours talking. It's really a gift. A gift, I think he gets from his mom.

I'm really not ready for Leo to go to Kindergarten. He's ready but I am not. Check back with me at the end of summer.

Leo and his preschool teachers: Ms. Alayna, Ms. Emma and Ms. Pokeress



3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Leo. You are growing so fast and now you will be kindergarten. I know you really liked preschool and all your teachers. It was so much fun to drop you off and pick you up from school and you could never remember what you had for snacks! You and I always had a good laugh over that. We are so proud of you and you did a really great job, even though it was hard. Love Oma and Opa

    ReplyDelete
  2. amy, i love reading your blog and "catching up" - can you please send me your new email address? i just sent something out to you about my book finally being published...but it got returned as i have only your old work email. please send me the new way to reach you. meanwhile, hugs to all- xoxo jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Little Leo, I wish we could have been there to help you celebrate.

    I hope we see you soon!

    ReplyDelete