Saturday, November 17, 2012

Chocolate Pie Failure #1

We are having friends over for Thanksgiving this year. They are French and I wanted them to experience a traditional American Thanksgiving. Turkey, smashed potatoes, stuffing, Jason's famous green bean casserole, football, the works. Of course we will have pumpkin pie. I will buy one from Whole Foods because they were rated as having the best Pumpkin Pie in the DC area. But, not everyone likes pumpkin pie so I thought I would try to make a chocolate pie à la Auntie M. I don't have Auntie M.'s recipe but I googled "best chocolate pie recipe" and this one was rated 5 starts. Trust me, its not the recipe, its the Baker!

I, smart as I am, thought it might be best that I try to make one before Thanksgiving so I gave it a go today. No beating around the bush...it was a big, fat failure! My home made whip cream, à la Auntie Pam, on the other hand was pretty delish. Of course not as good as Auntie Pams but good nonetheless.


I shall not give up! And my friends and co-workers will love me by the end of it all because they will be fed chocolate pie testers!

Happy (Early) Thanksgiving ya'all (I can't help that i watched Paula Deen today).

6 comments:

  1. Auntie M is now sending the correct way to accomplish your feat.
    You simply must crush enough graham crackers to measure 1 1/2 cups of crumbs. I put the crackers in a zip lock and use a rolling pin to crush the crackers, great fun for Aidan or Leo. Add 3tablespoons of sugar to the crumbs and then stir in 1/3 cup of melted butter. Once the crumbs and butter are throughly mixed pat them into the bottom and sides of the pie pan. Bake at 350degrees for 10 minutes. Don't over bake or the crust will be really hard to cut. Let the pie crust cool and then pour the Cook and Serve chocolate pudding into the crust and refrigerate uncovered for several hours. After it is completely cooled you can tent foil over it. I am available by phone if you have any questions. It was so great talking to you today. Love and miss you so much. Love Auntie M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Auntie M! I'm going to make a graham cracker crust. It's just what it needed! I'm not going to lie...Auntie M called me on Sunday right around the time I was stirring my liquid for pie attempt #2.

      Delete
  2. Love your pilgrim spirit. Anyhow, anything chocolate is good and should not be considered a failure. xoxo Oma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oma, you're right. In full disclosure we ate some of the liquid chocolate and it was GOOD!

      Delete
  3. The slice you gave me from the second round pie was delish!! Merci! Joyeux Thanksgiving!!

    Love, Doris

    ReplyDelete