Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mad in the Holma Family

So the last couple of days have been tough in the Holma household. I'm not sure what it is but something is in the air. Yesterday, I left work at about 6pm and so didn't get to my metro stop until about 6:45pm. It has been a long couple of weeks for me at work as well. I'm drowning in work but that is for another day. When the boys picked me up I got in the car and the first words spoken to me where from Leo. He said, "Aid mad, Dad mad, me mad". I new when I got in the car it was not going to be a good evening. Even now I am not sure what all went down but after about two minutes of being in the car Jason said, "I'm going to the movies." That's fine, actually most of the time when he is in such a mood its usually better that he is not in the house. When we arrived at home Jason flew out of the car, went inside and got his stuff and was ready to go before the three of us even got in the house! I thought boy this must be really bad. Though when Jason went to get in the car, Aidan grabbed onto to Jason, cried and said, "Don't go Daddy, please...don't go." This continued and finally Jason decided (against my better judgement) to not go.

After being in the house for about 10 minutes, Jason decided it was time for the boys to go to bed. They had already eaten before they picked me up because they were hungry which is fine. It's tough for me because I don't get to eat with them but I totally understand that they might get hungry and I know it is a consequence of being a working parent. The hard part about last night was I then had to choose between eating dinner (which I was starving...did I mention I'm trying to eat better and lose weight...and so I only ate a salad for lunch and salad translates into hungry two hours later) and spending some time with the boys. Of course I chose to lay down with the boys, snuggle, and watch a movie before they went to bed. Jason disappeared downstairs and watched a movie for a few hours. After they fell asleep, I went downstairs and made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner. Does anyone else every eat peanut butter and jelly for dinner?

Being a working parent, especially of two little ones is hard. I think the hard part is trying maintain the balance between family and work so you don't look back on your life and wish you would have done things differently. I'm not sure at this point in time that I won't look back and wish I had done things differently on the work-family life balance. On the other hand, obviously one person has to work away from the home and in our house that is me and we made decisions that have led us down this path. In many ways, if I have to work I think I am very lucky. Thanks to Jason wanting to stay home with the boys, I have it pretty easy in the morning and pretty easy in the evening. I don't have to get my kids out of the house and to day care by 8am or leave work to pick them up by 5pm. Jason takes care of all the little things that I don't know how other people even manage to get done like grocery shop, car emissions tests, oil changes, buying drain cleaner from the hardware store, going to the dry cleaners and the post office, etc. The hard part is feeling like I get to spend time with boys and be a part of their daily lives (really a part), trying to make sure our marriage is strong, and trying to make sure I am mentally stable all the while trying to be proud of the work that I do. I don't know how to do all of this but I am going to keep trying, talking about it, listening to others, and always make it a priority in my life.

Tonight was a similar night, this time Leo said "Aid mad, me mad" and Aidan said "I'm not mad", which was a relief to hear. Jason said things had gone better today. I'm not sure he was better though. He was quiet irritated and grumpy so at 7:30 I asked him to go to the movies and he said it was too late. I asked him to go to the pool and sit in the hot tub and he didn't want to do that and I said..."please, just go somewhere" and so he ended up going to the movies. I'm not sure which one or where but he filled his pockets with candy, smiled and left.



Just to catch up...Tuesday as you all know is Swim Day. Since we all had the day off Aidan and I went to watch Leo and Jason swim which was fun. Leo does great in the pool, he seems very comfortable in the water and really does not seem afraid. He even hangs on to the barbell float and is comfortable using it to float in water that he can't touch the bottom in. Jason is holding on to him but I'm not sure Leo really needs him too. It is great to watch. Aidan also had swimming yesterdan and Doris came to watch too. Aidan did really great. They practiced swimming through a hoola-hoop and the first couple of times Aidan really walked through instead of swam but after the instructor showed Aidan how to swim through he really did it. They also had to swim through the hoop and then grab a toy underwater and Aidan did it!! He was very excited. Aidan also practiced his back float and the instructor really helped him and made him look more at ease doing it. Aidan said his favorite part of the swimming was the hoola-hoop and he asked if
he could go more than just one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment