Friday, May 15, 2009

Dove è la mamma?


Mamma at the Foro Romano

You guessed it! I am in Rome. I have to say that when I had to get up at 4am yesterday to make my 6am flight Rome (via Zurich), I was not that thrilled about coming here. The early flight, and having to do everything that goes along with travelling such as changeing money, getting a taxi (and making sure I was not over charged), waiting for an hour for my suitcase to arrive, etc., etc. did not inspire my excitement for Rome. However, and this a big however, when we got to the center of the city I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the city. I was so happy to be here.


Colosseo
I think it may just be one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I went straight from the airport to the ILO offices in Rome. I'm here working with Furio and the UCW project. We pretty much got right down to work except first things first which is to have a coffee. We worked until a little about 6:30pm and then Gabriella took me for a nice walk around the city to the Colosseo or Colosseum, Roman Forum, and then we had bierra and pizza at a nice restaurant near the Colosseum. The food, drink and the company could not have been better.


View from the ILO office in Rome

I am staying at Furio's family's extra apartment. Actually Furio's wife, Suzana is an artist and it is her artist studio. It is near the University of Rome, in the area called San Lorenzo and it is great. I'm enjoying having my own place and space. This morning I left the apartment and had a cappucino and croissant at the counter and left on my own exploration to find the ILO offices. I had a great map and did not have any trouble getting there. The walk was about 45 minutes but it was great to explore a bit and look at all the businesses that were starting to open and all of the people standing at the coffee bar taking a coffee.

Santa Maria Maggiore
On my walk this morning into the office, I passed through the area of the Santa Maria Maggiore which is a very big old church. I got into the office at 9:30 and everyone was already hard at work. My commute in to the office this morning sure beat the redline metro.

Aidan and Leo, do you recognize any of these places from our trip to Rome in 2007? We should really plan to make a trip back soon!
I hope you are having fun with Daddy and Crow. I missing you so much.
Leo: Love you ALL DAY!
Aidan: I love you to the farthest star in the sky and back!










3 comments:

  1. I loooove your pictures and I wish I was there!! I love your new shoes, too. Very cute!! From Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I am so jealous!! Beautiful pictures Amy!! Enjoy yourself! love, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice you are enjoying yourself, even if you are there for work.

    I would love to go to Rome. Some day...

    ReplyDelete