Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Where in the World is Amy?

I'm still enjoying the amazing view from my hotel. I think it might be best at night. I wish I could sit on my little balcony and stare out all night. I hate that I will not have the view again after Wednesday. It's hard to explain but its painful that I won't have this beauty in my life past Wednesday. The work part of my trip has been going fine. I gave a presentation on Monday and I think it went fine. People looked very tired but I didn't take it personally because the people dozing off were people who came from India and probably had the worst jet lag. Besides I'll admit the topic wasn't really that interesting. There are lots of people out there who give presentations and they put games and jokes in their presentations. I'm just not one of them. I don't read from notes and can just stand up there and talk (so I'm not a robot) but I don't really do the games. I am working with people from Cambodia, India, Brazil, Uganda and Geneva. It's really interesting and fun. I'm learning a lot and enjoying the discussions.

Suprise Aidan and Leo

Today I also got to go to the US Mission. After I go to Geneva, I am heading to Rome and then off to Ghana. In Ghana I have to take anti-Malaria medication but I forgot it at home. I got the Malaria meds and 5 five shots from the medical center at the State Department. The Malaria meds were free. I forgot them at home so I called the US Mission in Geneva and they were able to provide me with a prescription for the meds. When I took it to the pharmacy at lunch it was $65. Ouch! The dollar is so weak here. When Jason and I lived her I think (correct me if I am wrong Jas) but I think the exchange rate was like $1 = 1.45 Swiss Franc (SF). Now that it is one to one ($1=1.04SF) I can't afford anything. I got off on a tangent about the dollar and what I really wanted to say is that all the times that I have been here I have never been to the US Mission. It's really neat.



My pretty red shoes

Okay well, even though the dollar is weak, I have done some shopping. I bought a new pair of shoes which I love and I bought souveniers for the boys (its a suprise but I have given you a hint of one thing I got you!). I also bought a few things that I like to get in Geneva like deodorant. I know it sounds crazy but they have a brand that I like so every time I come I buy 2 or 3. Tonight after work I had to race to the store because everything here closes between 6:30pm and 7pm. I don't know how people get their shopping and errands done. After I did a little shopping I met my friend Jennifer for dinner. We always meet when I come to Geneva. I enjoy spending time with her so much. She is one of the special friends that you just don't feel like the time has passed when your together. You just see each other and its like old times and you do the catch up. We didn't get nearly enough time together tonight but I am just grateful to see her for any hour.

Tomorrow is another day full of meetings and then I leave early, early Thursday morning for Rome.

I miss Aidan, Leo and Jason so much! I'm excited that crow will arrive at home tomorrow. I'm starting to get anxious to come home even though I'm not quite halfway through my trip yet.

Love you guys ALL DAY!

1 comment:

  1. Nice shoes. I love shopping when I am traveling also. Such fun.

    We saw the new Star Trek movie last Sunday...I loved it...Bogey said it was okay. He's not much of a Star Trek fan. The movie had a pretty good story and there was one cast member in the movie from the originial series. Can you guess who?

    I sent you an email about Erin and Oliver...they came home early from there adventure. They arrived in Portland last Friday...but maybe you knew already.

    Stay safe.

    Love,
    Thotlady

    ReplyDelete