Saturday, June 27, 2009

Insomnia

I feel like I have a bit of insomnia. It is 2:30am and I can not sleep. I have a feeling it is stress related because I wake up thinking about all of the things I have not done. Why don't I wake up thinking about all the things I have done? Or better yet, what if I didn't wake up and I just slept through the whole night? This does not happen regularly but I would say off and on 1-2 times a month for about 3-4 days at a time.

I am sleeping downstairs with Leo because it is much cooler downstairs than any part of the house. It is about 10 degrees cooler. I think I will probably go get the ipod and watch a movie or something. It didn't help that Leo lifted his head and bonked it on my head just above my eye (ouch!). Nor did it help when on the way to the bathroom Jason's pull up bar fell down and slammed my calf. On the plus side, the basement is a black hole and that helps me sleep.

I also have this slight fear that maybe my insominia stems from the fact that I am getting older and older people don't sleep as much. I have thought about this a lot and asked numerous people, at various ages, how much they sleep. Based on this "research", I have come to the conclusion that my best sleeping years were before children. How come no one told me this? When you have small children you don't sleep through the night because they don't sleep through the night. You desperately want to sleep because you are exhausted but they won't let you. Then as your kids get older, you don't sleep because you are up late worrying about when they are going to get home and whether they are safe. Then when you actually have the chance to sleep because they are out of the house you just can't sleep because of your age.

Lovely to think about and anticipate isn't it?

Well, good night, sleep tight (hopefully).

2 comments:

  1. I have significant trouble sleeping...I believe it is due to getting older. I blame all my shortcomings on age...it sucks.

    On the bright side, I can't blame my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks thotlady. Why does it always feel better when you know you are not alone?

    Well in a way you can blame your kids (your puppies) because I know they cause you to worry and I am sure that does not help with your sleep.

    I have been sleeping through the night but I think that is because I am forcing myself to stay up late. I still don't feel rested in the morning.

    ReplyDelete