Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day of Second Grade

Our big second grader did awesome at school today. He rules the school! (Like the "T-Birds"). We were a little concerned because when we went last friday to school to find out who his teacher was he didn't want to go and when we went to introduced ourselves to his teacher he got teary eyed and didn't want to go. He was ready to leave the minute we walked into the door. On the positive side, his friend William is in his class so when he saw him as we were walking out his face totally lit up and then both of them acted so cool like it was no big deal but inside they were ready to totally burst. It was SO sweet.

So this morning we all got ready to go, when we left the house he was a little quite but totally cool. I asked him if he wanted all of us to walk to the door with him or just him and dad and he said "just me and dad but you can pick me up." So we got to school, Jason and he got out, walked to the door, Jason said "so, do you want to go in here?", he said "yes" and they said good bye outside at the door and he walked inside to the gym. He was fantastic!


After school, I made it to the metro just in the nick of time. I seriously thought I was going to miss picking him up but I got there just before 3pm. I waited for him at the usual tree, anxious as could be and he came out smiling. I asked him "thumbs up, side ways, or thumbs down?" He said "thumbs up". I guess you can't ask for too much more than that. In his usual style he didn't talk about a whole heck of a lot. He said his teacher talked for a while, they went to gym, his teacher talked some more, they went to lunch and recess, his teacher talked some more and then they packed up. It's really what he said. I tried to ask about what she talked about. Math? Reading?  I got nothing.

After school we went to get ice cream to celebrate. It was a great day! He is growing right before our eyes.

I could end the post without sharing this picture of Leo with you. He fell asleep at about 6pm this evening before dinner. After dinner I came up stairs and this was how he was sleeping.

6 comments:

  1. Way to go Aidan. I can't believe you are growing up so fast. You looked really cool the first day of school. Love your back pack and that really fantastic shirt and shorts. You looked very grown up. We are very proud of you and know you will do great this year. Leo you look so comfortable, I think I will try that pose when I go to bed tonight. love you both, Oma

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post!! I'm so glad that Aidan and William are in the same class and that the first day went so smoothly! He looks so proud (and grown up) in those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sure is an active sleeper. Did he miss Aidan or did Leo start school as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. whooo hooo! Way to go Aidan! Great attitute for your first day back at school. Wonderful that you have a good buddy in your class with you. Leo, I sometimes sleep with my arm near my face like that. Actually, I'm wishing I was sleeping right now! Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I am readying Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Roderiguez, then I'm going to read Three Cups of Tea, also. Next will be Stones into Schools by the same author of the Three Cups of Tea. My girlfriend recommended them because of where Rushell is going so I could get an idea of the culture. So far I haven't been able to put Kabul Beauty School down, kind of sucks to have to work. love, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adian way to go I know you would love being with your friends this year reamber what I say Make as many new friends and keep your Old friends and you will be President of the School. Crow Loves and misses your both oh and Amy and Jason too. Keep on smileying and happy its way much more fun and so is life Love Crow

    ReplyDelete