Friday, March 4, 2011

White Chip Orange Cookies


Possibly the best cookies in all the land. My friend and colleague, Ronnie Campbell, shared her white chip and orange cookie recipe with me. I think it is one of the best cookies to be made and eaten. Since the recipe is not online, I thought I would include it here in a post for all of you to try the next time you feel like making cookies.

I made them today on my last week-day off because I have been planning to make them for about 6 months and just have never gotten to it. If you want to know why I haven't really gotten to it in the last 6 months check out thotlady's most recent blog on cooking and baking.

I'm also going to try to start a new tab at the top of the blog with recipes, especially those that can't be found online. For other great recipes check out the side panel on the right which has links to some of my favorite online recipes...I just added the pork shoulder recipe which is simple to make, it just requires time since the pork shoulder needs to marinate for at least 3 hours and it takes 45 minutes/pound to cook (I'm cooking a 5lb pork shoulder today).

White Chip Orange Cookies

2¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine, softened 
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 to 3 teaspoons grated orange peel
2 cups (12-ounce package) Nestle Toll House Premier White Morsels

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in egg and orange peel. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels. Drop dough by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to racks to cool completely. Makes 39 cookies.
 
I used 3 teaspoons of grated orange peel and Ronnie often uses 4 teaspoons so depending on your tastes you can mix it up.
 
One thing that I found funny is that Ronnie said that it makes 39 cookies. Jason and I were saying "how do you get 39 cookies?" It is SO precise and it is not even part of a dozen or an even number. Hilariously, when I made them, it made 39 cookies!! Without any thought, I made 4 sheets of 9 with 3 extra! When I told Jason we just started cracking up. Why I ever doubted Ronnie on numbers is beyond me because Ronnie is a retired auditor who has spent several years in the Office of the Inspector General for a number of organizations! What was I thinking????
 
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment