Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Falling Down on the Job

I'm so sorry I have not posted anything for a week. For a quick update, I ended up getting the stomach flu on Thursday last week. I left work at about 4pm with a terrible stomach ache and then rested until about 8pm, vomitted, and then slept and felt better. I had a meeting on Friday at work so I got ready and went to work. That was it! We kept Aidan home on Friday to make sure he was okay but then Saturday morning Aidan woke up again and got sick. We cancelled our family play date at Kentaro's house and had to cancel our super bowl "party". I put party in quotes because we were just having a few friends over. The rules for the party were that everyone had to wear track pants or sweats and lounge around on the couch, eat snacks, play Wii, eat snacks, watch football and eat snacks. Unfortunately, we didn't get to eat snacks. So, besides maxin' and relaxin' we didn't do anything this weekend.

So I just wanted to provide a few things that have been going on with the boys. Oldest first.

AIDAN

Aidan wanted me to share with our family and friends, through the blog, how well he is doing in certain areas. The first thing he wanted me to share is that he is doing really well reading. He can really read books! Of course they are kindergarten books with mostly their sight words (the, and, come, like, I, eat, etc.) but it's super amazing. I never imagined that I would have a child who could read. Of course, I thought eventually one day they would read but not now, not so soon. It is really neat to see. He also wanted me to share that he had swimming lessons yesterday and they put life jackets on and went into the deep end of the pool. He was afraid from the very beginning to the very end but he did it and he is really proud of himself. At school, they are four days away from their 100th day of school. They have been counting down the days since the very first day of school. Each child had a homework assignment to glue 100 items to a sheet of paper. Aidan chose his bottle cap collection. Thanks to all of those that contributed over the past six or seven months! One last thing I found funny this week. Aidan occassionally throws out a new word that some how makes it in to his vocabulary. This time it was "overwhelming". It was very cute, so we were coming out of his bedroom and we were talking about playing in his room and he said, "That's so over, over, overwhelming." It wasn't really used in the right context but it was super cute. Aidan asked Jason what he was making for dinner (SOS). Aidan wasn't too sure about eating SOS but Jason told him he liked it before and Aidan said, "If I like it, can I stick my head in it?" Jason replied "no" (as the average parent would), and Aidan said, "That wouldn't be appropriate at the table." It is amazing how they learn to read and how they learn new words and how they figure out how to use those words. It's a joy to watch him grow.

L-E-O, me

So Leo, our youngest. Leo is talking so much. I can't believe how much he has changed just in the last three months. He is learning lots of new words and the number of words in his sentences are really growing. He is into the "why?" phase but instead of saying "why?" he says "how?" So when you say, "we have to take Aidan to swimming" Leo asks ,"how?". When you tell Leo, "It's time to go to bed" he says, "how?". It's very funny and very difficult to respond to some times. The other really fun thing Leo does now is he likes to give "tiny kisses". Most of the time, he likes to give "tiny kisses" with "big kisses". Tiny kisses are very light, quiet kisses while big kisses are lip-smacking, loud kisses. He likes to give tiny kisses on the cheek but will also give one on the knee if you are sitting down or on the hand if that is closest in reach. Also Leo is learning to spell. Every word is spelled "e-o-s". I have no idea where that came from but if you ask Leo to spell his name he says, "e-o-s". If you ask him to spell "car" he says "e-o-s". I could go on and on...so amazingly fun.

So that is a little about what is going on in our lives and what the boys have been up to for the past few weeks.

1 comment: