Sunday, August 15, 2010

Using my beads

I have a lot of beads. I have gotten in and out of jewelry making for the past six or seven years or so. It seems to go in fits and spurts about two to three times a year or less. I have taken a few classes here and there (even got to use a mini torch to make silver pins) and quite enjoy it but time is always an issue. I got into it again about two months ago and so far I have made two necklaces. It usually takes me a weekend to make a necklace, it's just that I don't do it every weekend.

One of the necklaces that I made is out of string and includes glass beads (that sparkle like a crystal), swarovski crystal pearls and coin shape pearls. I really love the coin shape pearls; they are one of my favorites. So...this one is made out of three strands of beads that I knotted on string. I put them all together and fastened them with a clasp. After I finished it, I took it upstairs to show Aidan, who at the time was laying on our bed watching a movie. After he looked at it, I layed the necklace delicately on top of my jewelry box. When I came upstairs about an hour later, I found my necklace in a knotted mess on top of the dresser. Oh my goodness I could have died. It took all my strength to keep it together. Aidan was playing with it and made it into one gigantic knotted mess. After about 45 days of cooling off, I finally, one night, had the patience to try to fix it. It was after the kids were in bed and I was watching Jersey housewives (New York is my favorite but I'm totally addicted to Jersey and DC housewives too). I had to take all the strands off the hook and use tweezers to work with the knot. About two hours later (seriously!) I fixed it and was able to wear it for the first time.


With this second necklace, I am trying a little bit more technique mixing materials. This one is made with silver chain, swarovski crystal pearls (lt grey), rectangle faceted black onyx and Norwegian blue moonstone. I wrapped each of the beads and then hooked them together. It is a longer necklace, I didn't measure it but it is probably 36" or so. I made the entire thing this weekend and Aidan helped me pick out the beads. Leo and I made it while Jason and Aidan went to the DC United game (DC United lost 1-3 and the 1 was from on own goal-pathetic really). Leo watched looney toons while I made the necklace and watched it get longer and longer, he even put one of the beads on when I wasn't looking. :) He is so helpful.

6 comments:

  1. Totally gorgeous. Remember Christmas is coming and I love jewelry. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And it is even prettier in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amy they are both beautiful! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys so much. I just wish I could figure out a better way to photograph my work. Becs got to see my new one today because I just had to wear it! I am having so much fun. I'm on it Barb!--Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are beautiful. I know how you felt when you had to fix the necklace. I go through the same thing when I make a mistake on my knitting, to take out many stitches, sometimes even rows to then start knitting again.

    Although the mistake is mine, so I only have myself to blame. Poor Aidan, and poor Amy. At least you have a good story to tell people about the necklace when you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS!!! You need to open a store Amy! (even an etsy.com store)

    ReplyDelete